DELAVAN, settled in May 1856, organized October 20, 1858, was at first named Guthrie in honor of Sterrit Guthrie, one of the pioneer settlers. On May 1, 1872, the name was changed to Delavan to agree with that of the railway village, which had been platted October 11, 1870, in section 36. The proprietors of the village were Henry W. Holley, chief engineer of the Southern Minnesota Railroad, and Oren Delavan Brown, in whose honor the village name was suggested by Mrs. Holley. He was born in Jefferson County, N.Y., in 1837; came to Minnesota in 1856 with his father, Orville Brown, a prominent newspaper editor; was an engineer on the surveys for the Southern Minnesota Railroad, 1865-75, and later for the St. Paul and Sioux City Railroad; afterward resided in Luverne, Minn. The first passenger train arrived there December 19, 1870. The village was incorporated February 7, 1877, and separated from the township on May 9, 1917; the post office began as Delavan Station in 1870, shortening the name in 1885.