The Atwater Fire Department's original constitution was signed by 24 charter members on March 19,1890 under the name of Atwater Fire Company.In 1890 they purchased a new steam fire engine pumper. By 1893 the department had over fifty members. In 1912 a horse- draw, gasoline driven Waterous Pump was purchased and is still in operational condition at the fire hall. In 1922 a new model A Fire Truck was purchased for $498.00 The City, private citizens,local organizations and local townships have invested greatly in keeping our equipment updated.Our Equipment includes Pumpers, Tankers, Grass Rigs, Troop Haulers, "Jaws of Life" airbags, thermal imagers and deluge guns. In 1967 the Department purchased a 1959 Buick and took over Ambulance calls for our area. Many firefights have trained to be Emergency Medical Technicians over the years. Thanks mostly to firemen John Munson and Roger Hanson, who were motivated by the fact the nearest doctors were 15 miles away. Atwater's dedicated personnel attend extra meetings monthly training and are certified every 2 years to keep current on the latest medical equipment and protocols. There are currently 13 EMT's who provide around the clock coverage for a local territory of 118 square miles. Atwater Firefighters are required to be state certified. The Department keeps up its training by monthly meetings and drills, regional and state schools. We provide coverage to over 80 square miles including the city of Atwater and the townships of Gennesee, Harrison, Irving and Lake Elizabeth. The Department currently has 25 members. Many of our members have over 20 years of service, but that pales in comparison to Bill Broman who served over 51 years. The Dentons Gene, Wayne and now Jason have served for three generations.