In January 1851, the Iowa Legislature authorized the creation of 50
additional counties in the state. Due to its lack of inhabitants, the
designated Crawford County area was attached to Shelby County for purposes of revenue, taxation, and judicial matters.
In 1855 there were sufficient settlers, who petitioned for
separation from Shelbgy. This was granted, and a county governing
structure was established. The county as then designated did not include its present western townships.
In 1865, four eastern townships of Monona County were separated from that county and incorporated into Crawford County's boundary.
After several adjustments and reorganizations, the present arrangement of Crawford County townships was completed in June 1872.