COBDEN, a city in Prairieville and Leavenworth Townships, was originally named North Branch, from its location near Sleepy Eye Creek, the principal north branch of the Cottonwood River, but in 1886 it was changed to Cobden, for the English statesman. The village was platted February 16, 1901, was incorporated on April 7, 1905, and separated from the township on April 24, 1906; its post office operated 1886-1972. The village had two elevators and two creameries, and a station of the Chicago and North Western Railroad in section 31 of Prairieville Township. Richard Cobden was born in Sussex, England, June 3, 1804, and died in London, April 2, 1865. He entered parliament in 1841, visited the United States in 1854, and was especially noted as an advocate of free trade and of peace. During our Civil War he was a supporter of the cause of the North.