Kingsley's history actually begins with the village of Quorn, located a mile west of town. The Close Bros, wealthy Englishmen, bought up thousands of acres of farm land in this area. They conducted the affairs of the many farms they owned from their land office located in Quorn. English families sent their boys to the Close farms to learn how to farm. Tuition was $600 a year which included board and a horse. They were called "pups" by local community members. These young men were often more carefree and fun-loving rather than serious, and the program only lasted about 2 years. Quorn was platted in September, 1880. By 1882 it was a thriving town with a population of 300 to 400. Many businesses were located in Quorn, including the Heacock Mill built along the West Fork River.
When John Blair brought the railroad to this area, the station was to be located east of Quorn according to the August, 1883 plat of the newly laid town of Kingsley. Blair hired Nahum Kingsley of Vermont to lay out the plat, many of our streets are named after towns in Vermont. With the coming of the railroad to Kingsley, many of the buildings and businesses from Quorn were moved to Kingsley. Kingsley was incorporated in February, 1884.
Herbert Hoover's Grandmother's old house is at the corner of West 3rd & Barre, across from the Methodist Church. Herbert lived and attended school here for about 2 years.
Kingsley had a semi-pro baseball team called the Kingsley Cubs, which was funded by the American Legion from 1948 to mid 50's.
Kingsley’s Trademark - The Black Squirrels
Kingsley is known for having black squirrels and the black squirrel has been our town trademark for many years. Black squirrels have a genetic mutation called melanism which causes them to be black. The pictured postcard (photo by Carol Phelps) is the second postcard promoting our town’s black squirrels. The first black squirrel postcard was issued for Kingsley’s Diamond Jubilee in 1959.