The place to be!
Lake Crystal was a railway village and junction platted in 1869 and named for the nearby lake the explorers John C. Fremont and J. N. Nicollet described as having “unusual brilliancy and crystal purity.” In the spring of 1854, New York natives William Robinson and his brother-in-law Lucious Hunt traveled from Wisconsin to Minnesota looking for a place to call home. While looking at a site along the Blue Earth River, in the area now known as Rapidan Township, a group of Indians told them about a place with three lakes a little further west. When the two men saw the lakes that would be called Loon, Lily, and Crystal, they knew they were home. Each claimed land about one-mile long and a half-mile wide. Main Street Lake Crystal was the dividing line between the properties. Hunt built his home on the site where the Catholic Church is today, and Robinson’s home was near the 1870 brick home on Robinson Street, which is still occupied today.
People flock to Lake Crystal for its big summer festival called “Duck Days.” The three-day celebration features live music, a carnival, food stands, games, and ducks, of course! The Lake Crystal Area Recreational Center also attracts many summertime visitors at its pool, water slide, and Jacuzzi while its gym and activity/community room are used year-round.