The town of Lismore was named after Lismore Township which, in turn, was named after a village in County Waterford, Ireland, noted for its beautiful castle. The name for Lismore Township was suggested by Father C. J. Knauf of Adrian.
Lismore owes its existence to the building of the Burlington Railroad through northeast Nobles County. The railroad established the towns of Reading and Wilmont
in 1899. When the railroad reached present-day Lismore at 3:00 pm on
Saturday, June 9, 1900, construction of the town immediately commenced.
The first business on site was the St. Croix Lumber company which
sold its wares from a tent pitched next to a large pile of lumber
hauled in from Wilmont. The first building in town was built by James
Beacom and was used as a saloon. The second building in town was the O.
B. Bratager store building. James Montgomery started a small grain
elevator, and James Ramage opened a lumber yard and hardware store under
the management of Arch Priest. The Bank of Lismore opened its doors on
September 1, 1900, and was incorporated as the State Bank of Lismore
three months later. A livery stable, a butcher shop, a restaurant, and a
blacksmith shop were also opened in that first year. A school house,
churches, several businesses, and many residences were constructed in
On December 6, 1901, the Lismore Leader was able to boast:
Lismore, for a place only a little over one year old, has made
good and substantial growth... Lismore has one bank, two general
merchants, one furniture store, two saloons, two pool rooms, two lumber
yards, three elevators, four coal dealers, one hotel, one hardware
store, two machinery firms, one blacksmith shop, one livery stable, one
dray line, and one newspaper.
A census taken on April 10, 1902, showed a population of 186.
The town was quickly incorporated, and its first municipal council
meeting took place on June 17, 1902, with Emil Graf selected as
president. Lismore's population in the 2000 census was 238.
Lismore, Minnesota was a course in Need for Speed: The Run.