Minnesota City was platted in 1852. The city took its name from the Minnesota Territory. A post office has been in operation in Minnesota City since 1852.
Located along U.S. Highway 61- the Great River Road - Minnesota City,
is a city that has a historical past that is being preserved for its
The City of Minnesota City is located on the backwaters of the upper
Mississippi River on Minnesota's eastern border. It is only 105 miles
south of Minneapolis/St. Paul, 45 miles east of Rochester, and 4 miles
north of the city of Winona, Minnesota. To the west are the limestone
and sandstone bluffs that overlook the River. To the east are the
sloughs that make up the backwaters of the River. The Upper Mississippi
River National Wildlife and Fish Refuge are within walking distance of
the city. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Lock and Dam # 5 is located off of the highway north of the city.
The city was settled by members of the Western Farm and Village
Association. The immigrants arrived from the state of New York in the
spring of 1852 on the steamboats Nominee, Dr. Franklin, and Caleb Cope.
The city received its name on Sunday, May 9, 1852, anticipating that it
might be chosen as the state capital. It had over 500 residents at the
time. Currently the population is 230.