Where families come first!
Located along the Floyd River in O’Brien County, Sheldon, Iowa was founded in 1872 and named for a railroad man, Israel Sheldon. Sheldon was the first railroad town in the county and also the first town to incorporate. Today, the city is at the crossroads of Highway 60 and U.S. Highway 18 and is a growing community with an emphasis on family, manufacturing/industrial businesses, education and communications.
Sheldon is well-known for its annual display of marigolds, and the moniker of its local schools’ athletic teams—the Orabs. Officially, an Orab is a cohesive fusion of two brilliant and powerful colors—orange and black. Sheldon is the home of Northwest Iowa Community College and Village Northwest Unlimited. The nonprofit Village was founded in 1975 “to provide purpose, privacy and dignity for all people” with disabilities including intellectual disabilities, brain injury, cerebral palsy, autism, Down Syndrome, epilepsy, and others. Sheldon’s wide, inviting neighborhood streets and many recreational facilities offer residents and visitors a safe, peaceful and comfortable place in which to shop, play, and call home!