Pride of the Fox
Sherburn is located in southern Minnesota at the junction of Interstate 90 and State Highway 4, just south of Fox Lake. In 1866, George Archer was proprietor of a sod tavern on the north banks of Lake Manyaska about a mile to the south of Sherburn’s present location. Many pioneer travelers between Fairmont and Springfield (now Jackson) used this as a resting place—enjoying the shade of the nearby lone cedar tree. Soon, a prairie post office was established here for about a hundred pioneer settlers newly living in the area. Also, stagecoaches from Fairmont to Jackson and St. James to Estherville crossed lines here until about 1878, contributing to the need for a settlement. Sherburn is surrounded by rich farm country and its close proximity to Fox Lake offers many recreational activities to enjoy year-round.