Sutherland is a cozy small town offering safety and security in a setting of shady streets and housing to fit all tastes and budgets. Sutherland is also a sportsman’s paradise – literally. With outstanding rough ground and forested habitat, the area abounds with quality game including wild turkey, deer, fox, pheasant, partridge and quail.
The town was laid out in 1882 by the Western Town Lot Company; Sutherland, which was named for the Duke of Sutherland, some of whose neighbors were settled near there. The town was laid out in 1882 by the Western Town Lot Company; Hartley, which was established in 1878 with the coming of the Milwaukee Railroad and was named after one of the surveyors and engineers involved in building the railroad; Primghar, the county seat, which received its name from the first letters of eight names of those who had a major part in platting the town. Pumphrey, the treasurer, drives the first nail; Roberts, the donor, is quick on his trail; Inman slips slyly his first letter in; McCormack adds M, which made the full Prim; Green, thinking of groceries, gives them the G; Hayes drops then an H, without asking a fee; Albright, the joker, with his jokes all at par; Rerick brings up the rear and crowns all “Primghar”.