In March 1879, the City of Watertown was formally organized. In 1880, John Johnson was appointed as the first Town Marshal of Watertown and he served in that capacity until 1882.
Watertowns next Town Marshall was O.F. Vaux and he was succeeded by J.J. McMath in 1883. On June 16, 1884, the first county court house and jail was completed. Whether or not the jail was also used by the city is not known. Most likely that was the case as Watertown was quite small, being in existence for less than 10 years. Watertowns next Town Marshal was James Wiley in 1885.
George Carpenter succeeded Wiley and served as the Town Marshal between 1886 through 1888. On May 26, 1890, the first City Council meeting was held in the new City Hall which was located on West Kemp Avenue. The City Jail was located in City Hall and H.D. Bennett served as Town Marshall (1889 through 1891).
he population of Watertown in 1890 was 2,672. The first Watertown Police Department was located in City Hall on the corner of West Kemp and 1st Street West. Today, the Hi-Rise apartment building occupies that location.